Tuesday, February 5, 2019

"Cyclist" Magazine: Tourlines' take on gearing.

From August of 1985. Typically, Tourlines takes a minimalist view of gearing at a time when triples were all the rage!

Nowadays, with the advent of "1X" gearing, the views of these ancients seems very relevant. For me, I have found the most useful gearing for the kind of terrain I encounter here in Northern California is a wide geared double, almost a 1X plus granny if you will, with a big ring in the mid 40's range and a small ring of between 26 to 30 teeth. I continue to use an 8 speed cassette on the rear, these seem to provide more than enough of a gear selection for my riding.



3 comments:

  1. Nice to read quotes, re gearing, from Tim Hughes book "Adventure Cycling", circa 1978

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard copy of this story--minus the second page--pasted into my binder of old bike articles. Wonderful to find the whole thing here, as well as other Cyclist articles from back in the day. I got into cycling in 1985 at age 14 and love the tech and relative innocence of that era. Thanks so much for posting these. I

    ReplyDelete