Monday, May 27, 2024

May 2024; RIP Mercian

My fleet of Mercians.

I was saddened to hear this week that Mercian Cycles of Derby has ceased operations. Mercian had been building bicycle frames for 78 years, they were ten years older than I am!

I was a big fan; Over the past 40 years had bought 4 different Mercians; 3 new and one used frame, here they are:

My first, an Olympic frame bought from La Mesa Cyclery in 1983. I considered it a touring bike, it is in fact more of a sportif style geometry. This is it's current configuration as my fixed gear road bike.


I bought this one new direct from Mercian via email in 1999 to replace my Colnago. It's an Audax Special which turns out to be a renamed Olympic! This one was actually a tad smaller than my Olympic, so I eventually sold it. (Wish I had held on to it now!)


My King of Mercia Tourer, it was my retirement gift back in 2013. A 60 CM frame, probably my ideal size.


Another Olympic/ Audax! This one I got used on eBay and had it updated. It's big at 61 CM but it is actually a pretty good fit.

The geometry of the Mercians, in particular the Olympic/Audax geometry, meshed well with my body. Way back in 1983, when I was getting rid of most of my bikes to strike out on my career, the Mercian was the only bike I kept. I even sold my Peugeot Super Comp as I always felt more comfortable on the Olympic!

I've got a lot of good miles and memories on these bike...

Touring with a pal in 1983.


Same 1983 tour.


The 1983 Olympic in (around) 2014.

The KOM arriving in 2013!


Just out of the box, 2013.


One of my first rides on the KOM.


Sub-24 hour overnighter on Foresthill Road.



Gravel grinding on Finning-Mill Road.



Touring through Yosemite.


Well, it's sad to think they're gone. I hope the employees can recover and carry on. Deep down I had hopes to maybe order one more someday, Sorry to think that won't happen now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment