Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Mercians: 1980 Olympic, 1982 Olympic, 1999 Audax Special, 2012 King of Mercia.

1982 Mercian Olympic

The oldest bike in my stable is my Mercian Olympic, purchased from La Mesa Cyclery in late '82 or early '83. This was the only bike I brought with me to my new life in Utah in late 1983. It has been a sport bike, a long distance tourer, dirt road semi mountain bike,and now, it's serving as a fixed gear fun bike.

My 1999 Mercian Audax Special

My next Mercian was an Audax Special. I found Mercian on the web back then and was able to order this frame via email. A nice sporty geometry. and another beautiful bike, in Anquetil Blue, (Mercian Flamboyant #6). Unfortunately a tad small due to my ignorance in Mercian sizing. I also decided that I wanted more tire clearance than the short-reach version offered. I eventually sold it.
February 2013 update! - -Link to my latest Mercian!

Update- 2017! One more! I picked up a used Olympic, a 1980, and modernized it to become a workhorse go-fast bike:

Reworked 1980 Olympic.
And here's a link to the story of this bike: 1980 Mercian Olympic

No comments:

Post a Comment